Five Reasons to Blog Away
Did you ever think about starting a blog? Or did you ever wonder what a blog makes a blog worth having? Well I hope I can answer some of your questions with my top five reasons on why you should start a blog. First, I’d like to share with you very quickly how great a blog can be. When I started my blog last year, in December 2011, I just went with the flow. I had no idea as to the success or what a great following base I would soon have. I love when my followers contact me asking if I can help them with a recipe that is specific for their diet, or if they tell me how much they love something I’ve posted. Their input gives me ideas and incentive. I knew that I wanted to have a blog where I could express myself with my cooking, but I never dreamed that it would lead to me meeting celebrity chefs. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Anne Burrell, Robert Irvine, Buddy Valastro, Lidia Bastianich, Rocco Dispirito, Mario Batali, Walter Staib, and quite a few others.
What more could you ask for in starting a site? Just remember that you need to have fun with it. Okay, enough rambling, here are my reasons for starting a blog:
- Your Voice. Starting a blog is a great way to express your passion for what you love most—from fashion to food to anything in between. Whatever it is, you will be surprised at how many people out there share the same passions. Maybe you can learn a thing or two in the process. Remember that anyone can start a blog, but maintaining it and having a following base takes a lot of work. Make sure you are ready for the job. Don’t give up.
- Marketing. Blogging is a great way to market a product or promote your business. With a blog you will reach out to people all over the world. That’s a great opportunity in my eyes. I started by following groups that shared my interests on Google+, Twitter, Facebook and WordPress. As you can see, social media is a BIG help to connect with like-minded people. This has all built my fan base of over 1,700 followers in just over a year, and it keeps growing every day.
- Helping People. If you’re a picky eater, a blog such as mine might help open your taste buds to new avenues. Your blog may help people with certain issues or information. This is a great way in doing that.
- Editing and Publishing. You are your own boss. You can do what you please with your blog from designs to topic. You don’t have to listen to someone telling you that you can’t do it or that you have to do it another way. This will make the writer in you come out, and it will challenge you to be better at the same time.
- Friends. Most importantly, you will make new friends and gain fans of your work. It makes you feel good when you know someone is enjoying your work of art or just reading your stories and interacting. It’s a fun way to connect with people that you would never have the chance to meet without a blog.
The possibilities are endless. It’s up to you to make it happen. It is one of the best ways to get out and into an online community. The list can go on and on. Remember that you don’t need a degree to start a blog, just some wits. You never know what could happen. Hey, you might even end with a dream career or avenues to build your own personal community. Most importantly, your blog is you, so fall in love with it and show us what you’ve got.
Roberta Pipito is a chef, food blogger and wine and beer aficionada. Her work continues to expand in the foodie world, and it can be seen on www.homemadedelish.com.