By Hailey Mason
- -1.26 billion users passed in Q3’13.
- -1.19B MAUs (Monthly Active Users) worldwide as of Q3’13 — an increase of about 18% (18.1%) from Q3’12, and an increase of nearly 50% (48.7%) from Q3’11.
- -20 billion minutes is the collective amount of time spent daily by users worldwide in Jun 2013. This is equal to about 8.3 hours per month per user in Jun 2013.
- -67% of American Internet users across all age groups use Facebook. In the U.K., it’s 82%. The largest U.S. age category for usage is 18 to 29-year olds, with 83% of them using Facebook.
- -66% of social media sharing via mobile (American users) is from Facebook’s iPhone app. Facebook is the most popular smartphone social media app.
- -About 75% of American Internet users having some college education use Facebook.
- -73% of American Internet users in the $75K and above per year salary range use Facebook. Only 17% of this category uses Twitter; 13% use Pinterest.
- -69% of American Internet users in the $50K-$74,999 yearly salary range use Facebook.
- -62% of American Internet users in the $30K-$49,999 yearly salary range use Facebook.
- -68% of American Internet users in the less than $30K yearly salary range use Facebook.
- -150 billion total friend connections worldwide (as of Feb 2013).
- -4.75 billion items shared daily (as of Sep 2013).
- -76% of users log in to their Facebook account at least once a day (as of Apr 2013).
- -40 page likes per user, on average (as of Aug 2013).
- -250 million users play Facebook games each month (as of Mar 2013).
Mobile Usage, Monthly
Facebook usage on mobile devices has enjoyed steady growth for at least 10 quarters — from Q2 2011 to Q3 2013, in terms of Mobile MAUs worldwide — and is a significant means of engaging on the network:
- -325M – Q2’11
- -376M – Q3’11
- -432M – Q4’11
- -488M – Q1’12
- -543M – Q2’12
- -604M – Q3’12
- -680M – Q4’12
- -751M – Q1’13
- -819M – Q2’13
- -874M – Q3’13 — An increase of about 45% (44.7%) from Q3’12, and an increase of about 132% (132.4%) from Q3’11.
User Behavior Data
User behavior data is amongst some of the most potentially-rich marketing information, with or without user demographic information (age, sex, salary breakdown), as it provides a sense of topical importance. Examples of useful behavior data includes popular topics of discussion, important life events, and location check-ins.
Verbatim from Facebook’s 2013 Year in Review, here are some examples of user behavior data.
Top Life Events in the U.S.
The top 10 life events for American users:
- 1. Added a Relationship
- 2. Got Married
- 3. Got Engaged
- 4. Traveled
- 5. Moved
- 6. Ended a Relationship
- 7. Had a Baby
- 8. Expecting a Baby
- 9. First Met
- 10. Lost a Loved One
Most Talked About Topics in the U.S.
The top ten most-talked about topics in 2013 by American Facebook users:
- 1. Super Bowl
- 2. Government Shutdown
- 3. Boston Marathon
- 4. Syria Crisis
- 5. Harlem Shake
- 6. Pope Francis
- 7. George Zimmerman
- 8. Royal Baby
- 9. Nelson Mandela
- 10. Presidential Inauguration
Most Talked About By Category in the U.S.
The 10 most-talked about categories by topic by American Facebook users:
- 1. Sports – Super Bowl
- 2. Movies – The Conjuring
- 3. TV Shows – Scandal
- 4. Music – Get Lucky by Daft Punk*
- 5. Books – “Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander” by Phil Robertson
- 6. Games – Criminal Case by Pretty Simple Games
- 7. Public Figures – Peyton Manning
- 8. Politics – Government Shutdown
- 9. Technology – Instagram
- 10. Viral Moments – Harlem Shake
*Most Played on Facebook via Spotify
Top Check-Ins in the U.S.
Top 10 American locations check-in at:
- 1. Disneyland & Disney California Adventure (Anaheim, CA)
- 2. Times Square (New York, NY)
- 3. Epcot – Walt Disney World (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
- 4. Dodger Stadium (Los Angeles, CA)
- 5. AT&T Park (San Francisco, CA)
- 6. Rangers Ballpark (Arlington, TX)
- 7. Universal Studios Hollywood (Universal City, CA)
- 8. Fenway Park (Boston, MA)
- 9. MGM Grand Hotel & Casino (Las Vegas, NV)
- 10. Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (Houston, TX)
Top Check-Ins Worldwide
Of the top 25 check-in locations worldwide, the brand that stands out the most is Disneyland with four different locations. In decreasing order of check-ins, they are:
- -France: Disneyland Paris, Marne La Vallée
- -Hong Kong: Hong Kong Disneyland
- -Japan: Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo
- -United States: Disneyland, Anaheim, California